• Phra Sri Rattana Chedi
One of the most outstanding structures within the compound of Wat Phra Kaew is the Phra Si Rattana Chedi (Sri Lankan style), which enshrines relics of the Buddha.
This main Stupa was erected by King Rama IV in 1855 and regarded as the most sacred in the Royal Chapel. In the hollow interior is a smaller stupas containing sacred Buddha relics. King Rama V had the exterior covered with golden mosaic tiles imported from Italy. This stupa was built in imitation of one of the three stupas at Wat Phra Si Sanphet which was the Royal Chapel in the old capital of Ayutthaya.
© Istvan Kadar Design & Photography