Fortress of Deva
The fortress is located atop a volcano in the Poiana Rusca Mountain Range within the Western Carpathian Mountains of Transylvania. The first evidence of the medieval Deva Fortress dates back to the second half of the 13th century; in 1269, Stephen V, King of Hungary and Duke of Transylvania, mentioned "the royal castle of Deva" in a privilege-grant for the Count Chyl of Kelling.
The Fortress of Deva is central to the Hungarian folk tale The Wife of Clement, the Mason.
© Istvan Kadar Photography